[teampractices] Scrum-y tools based on BZ (was Re: Scrumbu.gs)

Andre Klapper aklapper at wikimedia.org
Mon Nov 4 23:15:45 UTC 2013

Hi,

in short: +1 on what RobLa and Matt wrote (somehow).

My interpretation of "WONTFIX": Maintainer is against the request, if
reporter insists then s/he would have to fork the codebase.
"Lowest priority": Maintainer and dev team will not work on fixing the
request, but are not against it and would accept patches.

On Thu, 2013-10-31 at 21:07 -0700, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> It looks like I'm the contrarian here.  This seems like one of those
> inclusionist/deletionist battles that each side is going to have a
> tough time understanding the others' point of view.

> "WONTFIX" is often used to mean "maybe this should be fixed
> eventually, or maybe it should never be fixed, but it probably doesn't
> matter because we'll never get around to it".  It seems perfectly
> rational for the person dealing with the backlog to look at a mountain
> of issues and say "can we just be honest and say we won't fix the
> things we probably will never get around to fixing?"

If the maintainers' understanding is "My team members are the only ones
working on this codebase & our (wo)manpower is defined as individuals X,
Y, Z and hence limited" that's perfectly understandable.

But I don't see such a limitation in open source projects with public
issue trackers and potential drive-by code contributions by volunteers.

Another bad aspect of closing every ticket as WONTFIX that "my team will
not work on" is that it would require an extra step for volunteers to
find ideas and opportunities to contribute code by contacting the team
first in order to ask if the idea is acceptable. (If anybody makes that
extra step and finds the right mailing list or IRC channel and receives
an answer.)

> However, look at it from the reporters perspective.  Some reader or
> editor discovers a problem, which they live with until it irritates
> them to the point that they decide to figure out how to fix it.  They
> may have told someone (maybe on Village Pump, or maybe some other
> forum) about the bug, and were told "you should file a bug!", to which
> they say "how do I do that?".

...which is the normal situation when I link to
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_report_a_bug (which needs some
updates, now that we have the guided bug entry form in place).

>   They then go through the arduous process of figuring out what that
> means to file a bug, register yet another account, and figure out what
> the 20 gazillion form fields mean in our bug tracker.

At least that part should be slightly easier now with the guided form:
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=MediaWiki&format=guided

andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler