[QA] Reg::Commit messages

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Wed Dec 10 11:25:28 UTC 2014

> >  3. If I use WIP: in my commit message ,when should I remove that? If my
> >     work is awaiting feedback and approval from someone,should I keep
> >     WIP or is it if am confident enough of my code I should remove
that?.

> As far as I know, using WIP in commit message is a convention used by
> the VisualEditor project. I guess you can remove it once you are
> confident your patch can land in, but better want to check with them.

We use WIP for Language engineering projects, too.
For us it means "please don't merge this yet, but comments are welcome".
And yes, you should remove it once you think that it is ready for merging.

Here's a blog post with useful tips for commit messages that should be
generally useful for any project:
http://infotrope.net/2013/08/24/start-your-commit-message-with-a-verb/

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,