[Pywikipedia-l] [ pywikipediabot-Feature Requests-1500288 ] Have weblinkchecker.py check the Internet Archive for backup

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Jan 23 16:53:33 UTC 2009

Feature Requests item #1500288, was opened at 2006-06-04 03:09
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by purodha
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=603141&aid=1500288&group_id=93107

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
weblinkchecker.py apparently has an option to take action on finding a broken link (currently only to add something to a talk page; I haven't been able to get this to work, though). But it would be even better if it could insert, in a comment or perhaps an addendum after the broken link, a link to backups of that page in the Internet Archive/Wayback Machine.

I don't think this enhancement would be backbreakingly difficult and troublesome. The script would have to prepend  "http://web.archive.org/web/" to the original URL, check whether the string "Not in Archive." (or whatever the current error message is) appears in the Internet Archive page. If it does, then simply carry on with the rest of the links to be checked; if not, if the Archive *does* have something backed up, then take some boilerplate like "The preceding URL appeared to be invalid to weblinkchecker.py; however, backups of the URL can be found in the [[Internet Archive]] $HERE. You may want to consider amending the original link to point to the archived copies and not the live one.", replace $HERE with the URL prepended with the Archive bit, and insert in a comment.

-maru