[WikimediaMobile] Quickie mockup: floating/togglable table of contents

Brion Vibber bvibber at wikimedia.org
Sun Dec 11 19:35:46 UTC 2011

Did a quick mockup of a floating/togglable table of contents for the mobile

http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/trunk/mockups/mobile-sections/index.html

* sets up section 0 as a togglable section as well
* on narrow screens, ToC shows fullscreen, triggered by a floating fixed
button in the corner, so it's always available
* on wider screens (such as tablets), ToC shows as a fixed sidebar

This is a fairly primitive quicky mockup and requires position:fixed to
work ('for reals' would need some smarts for some platforms to scroll
things around) and makes no attempt for things to be formatted nicely. ;)
Clicking a section in the toc bar also does a toggle rather than
unconditional _show_, so sometimes hides things instead. ;)

Seems to work in iOS 5 (iPod Touch and iPad) and Android 2.3 (Nexus 1 stock
browser), as well as on desktop Firefox.

Any thoughts? I kinda like the notion of having navigation controls always
accessible; perhaps tweak things with a nicer section list and displaying
only one section at a time by default.

(A lot of portal-style pages also interact poorly with our mobile section
collapse/expand right now, so that might need some adjustment as well...)

-- brion