[Mediawiki-l] how to get this in mediawiki

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 17:16:25 UTC 2007

Maurizio Vitale wrote:
> Thanks for the pointers, very helpful indeed. Two followup questions:
> - is this what people use to wrap entire paragraphs potentially with
> mediawiki markup?
Yes, you could also use css classes, but you need access to common.css
to create/change them, so they aren't so popular.

>    I can see two ways:
> 	- one template with a very long argument (like the chess position
> example)
>          - two templates, one providing the header and one providing
> the trailer
>    Which is more common?
Arguments too long can be ugly, so if when we face several paragraphs,
usually two templates are used. Chess posisition is special because the
| an line breaks make an ascii board.
However, be aware that some two-template systems won't work if you have
your wiki configured without tidy (mediawiki will close the div on the
first template).

> - is there a collection of useful templates somewhere? I can find
> extensions, but not templates.

See on the different wikis (still remember: they're GFDL), templates are
made when the needing arises. Each wiki has different needs, so we don't
have a 'set of templates each wiki should have' (though some are quite
common). I recommend you seeing how a big wiki (like wikipedia) has
solved your specific problem (note: really big wikis may have solutions
too complex for your small wiki).