[Mediawiki-l] Media Wiki just stopped working

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Jul 17 02:03:50 UTC 2007

We run four instances of MediaWiki on our website. Two of the
installations have been down for months and the other two are working
fine. We've generally had few problems with MediaWiki software other
than the standard spam headaches.

I upgraded the software on 3 of the wikis last night with no problems.
Strangely enough, the upgrade worked for one of the wikis which is down.
But I can't get the wiki to display anything at all.

http://www.infoshop.org/octo/matrix/index.php

I've checked the paths in the LocalSettings.php file. They look fine. I
even compared them to another LocalSettings file for a wiki that works.
I just can't figure out why this wiki is displaying a mysterious Server
Error page when the other wikis are working.

We upgraded to PHP 5 recently, but these two wikis went down before that.

Have people had any experiences with hackers or spammers bringing down a
wiki by inserting bad data?

I'm really banging my head against the wall on this one, so any insights
are appreciated.

Chuck