[Maps-l] Concerning cassini.toolserver.org

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 21:24:56 UTC 2010

On 04/15/2010 02:44 PM, Peter Körner wrote:
> River Tarnell schrieb:
>>
>> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason:
>>> Those servers need a lot of love. People other than me have been doing
>>> some work on it recently.
>>
>> I've been distracted by other things the last couple of weeks, but I
>> plan to do some working on getting renderd running properly next week.
>> We may need some additional programming to make it feasible to run it
>> with a lot of styles (e.g. loading styles on demand instead of at
>> startup).
>
> I'd suggest taking a look at tirex.

May I ask what the practical advantages to using tirex over renderd are?
It sounds like it has a nicer architecture for when you whant to extend
it and do more complicated things. But so far I am not sure any of those
extensions have been implemented or for the moment are necessary for the
toolserver setup. So given that tirex still seems a bit experimental, it
might not be a bad idea to experiment with it on dev.osm.de for the
moment and continue to use renderd on ptolemy for the moment. One thing
that does look quite interesting is tirex's ability to automatically
restart a crashed render, but then it shouldn't really crash in the
first place and I haven't heard of any stability problems with renderd
on tile.osm.org yet.

On the devserver-list we're talking
> about how to configure it with various styles, each having differend
> min- and max zoomlevels etc.

The min and max zoomlevels also need to be specified in mod_tile, and I
think that might actually be hardcoded in the source. So having a
flexible renderd alone might not help.

> In adition I don't think that the toolserver should host the 250+
> language styles - this is in my eyes the job of the live cluster
> (ortelius&  cassini).

Are there any plans on setting up the live cluster? It does in some way
sound like those services shouldn't necessary be on the toolserver, but
then it makes sense to test it on the toolserver first and to me (not
really knowing anything about the wikipedia side of things) it appears
as if WMA and geohack are still running on the toolserver too, even
though they have been "in production" for a while.

Kai