[Labs-l] Coren joining WMF Ops department as Tools Labs contractor

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Sun Feb 17 01:54:08 UTC 2013

On 02/16/2013 04:30 PM, Thehelpfulone wrote:
> With regards to maintainers using it to track issues for their tools, we can do this on a per component basis with auto cc lists that any Bugzilla admin can edit.

My original impression is that this would, in practice, turns out to be
more operational trouble than maintaining a project-specific bugtracker.

One of the requirements from the tool users is to have a ticket tracker
to provide support for the tools they write; in general, /who/ maintains
those tools is meant to be mutable, and tracked from within the Tools
project (and may not map well with the bugtracker's users in the general
case).

For instance, the intent is to allow the Tools project users to create
and alter new tools (think: bugzilla products, possibly with many
components) without the requirement of sysadmin intervention in most
scenarios - synchronizing the creation of those tools in the Labs with
updates to the central bugzilla is /possible/, but I fear it might
introduce a brittleness we certainly don't want in one of the primary
work tools of the engineering team.

Now, if we make that as a service to the Tools lab users running in the
project, the management problem is constrained.

I'm not attached to the idea, but I certainly think it's the simpler
solution.

-- Marc