[Labs-l] Coren joining WMF Ops department as Tools Labs contractor

Thehelpfulone thehelpfulonewiki at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 21:30:50 UTC 2013

On 16 Feb 2013, at 21:04, Platonides <platonides at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm confused about the mention of having a bug tracker dedicated to the
> tools project.
> IMHO, we should use bugzilla.wikimedia.org (we can of course have new
> sections, etc.)
> Installing another bugzilla instance for tools seems an error.

+1 - we can make a new Tools product with as many components as needed for individual tools for example. Adding a new Bugzilla instance creates unnecessary extra work for ops in both setting up the tracker and maintaining it. Ops time is already so thinly stretched out, do we really need this?

We should also consider that there could be a bug that someone reports relating to databases for example (or for that matter any other part of MediaWiki or our projects) that could be moved into an existing component with existing maintainers.

With regards to maintainers using it to track issues for their tools, we can do this on a per component basis with auto cc lists that any Bugzilla admin can edit.