[Labs-l] Licensing: CC vs. ODbL vs. ???

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 27 15:59:17 UTC 2012

     On IRC this morning, jongleur points out that OpenStreetMap no
longer uses CC-by-SA; their data is now licensed under ODbL.  There's a
lengthy explanation of the rationale for the change here:
http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/We_Are_Changing_The_License

     Currently the labs Terms of Use says " all content must be freely
licensable under an applicable creative commons license."  That seems to
exclude OSM data, which surely is not our intent.  I note that the item
just before that (about software licenses) uses a more expansive term, "
OSI-approved open source licenses."  Is there a similar umbrella term
that we can use for content that would include CC-like licenses without
restricting users to actual, literal CC licensing?

-Andrew