[Gendergap] User blocked for sexist comment, many disagree - it wasn't sexist.

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Thu Oct 13 23:35:30 UTC 2011

* ChaoticFluffy wrote:
>Hi Björn, thanks for a very thoughtful email. I just want to point out that
>the problematic comment the user made was not calling another user a woman.

If you think we would be better off if the comment had not been made in
the manner it has been made, I think we should look at what lead to it
and how to avoid similar circumstances that may lead to similar comments
in the future. I offered an interpretation and steps to mitigate this
kind of problem in the future in line with my personal experience. I do
not care about identifying the greatest offense, I care about educating
people so they can understand reactions to their communications and be-
havior before they communicate and do things. Consider how this incident
would have unfolded if the blocked user had never called the other user
a "he". It wouldn't have, there would have been no reason to point this
apparent mistake out, no need to respond, no warning, no response to the
warning, no block, no discussion about the block, no thread here, etc.