[Gendergap] User blocked for sexist comment, many disagree - it wasn't sexist.

Laura Hale laura at fanhistory.com
Thu Oct 13 19:12:03 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:56 PM, ChaoticFluffy <chaoticfluffy at gmail.com>wrote:

> Invalidating someone's life experiences or gender identity is offensive.
> I'm very sorry that so few people seem to realize the damage that words like
> that can do, and I'm even sorrier than so many people seem to think that I'm
> a terrible, offensive person for having pointed out in public that these
> things can be offensive to real people.

 Yes, they do.

> I'm greatly discouraged by the feedback I'm getting here, the loudest of
> which seems to be telling me that if someone makes an offensive comment,
> it's incredibly rude to tell them they're being offensive.

I hope you're not discouraged.  I've seen similar problems when dealing with
race related issues.  Some one says something racist.  Some one else points
out the person made a racist comment. The person who gets in trouble isn't
the person who made the racist comment, but the person who pointed it out.
 Why?  Because won't you think of the poor racist, and how their feelings
are hurt.  Don't you realise how offensive it is to be called a racist or
told that something they said was racist?

Related to that whole issue of the need to apologise for calling some one
out regarding their sexist behaviour, and not in this case but in a wider
context for women and what they deal with online and office, involves rape
apologists. If you start looking at online news stories that talk about
rape, you'll often find variations of them that include "She was asking for
it."(Though that does appear to be a theme on WP when women have to deal
with problematic men: "That's just WP.  Deal with it.  Act like a person.
 The rest of the people (93% male) can and you should be able to do that
to.")  There has been some rather interesting responses to this including a
number of rallies condemning these statements when coming from authority
figures.  Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SlutWalk , which probably
has the bare bones for a Good Article if anyone is inspired to take it
there.

Sincerely,
Laura Hale

--