[Gendergap] Commons Searches

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 19:21:31 UTC 2011

Ryan,

Creating galleries would mitigate the problem for these half-dozen searches (though not eliminate it, as users would still have the option of searching Commons rather than navigating to a Commons page).

But it's like the story of the Dutch boy trying to plug a hole in the levee with his finger. (Searching for "levee" in Commons brings up an image of a naked Suicide Girl called Levee in third place.)

We should be under no illusion that we can find all search terms whose results violate the principle of least surprise, presenting adult images for everyday search terms.

New such situations arise on a daily basis, each time someone uploads an explicit file that has a plausible search term in its name and description (try searching Commons for "eating", and then search for "drinking"; or try finding images of Prince Albert).

We should simply offer safe search, like Google does.

Andreas

>________________________________

                the Foundation list,
                know the answer to the