[Gendergap] This list

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Mon Oct 3 19:58:12 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

This past weekend, two people wrote me off-list to say they're planning to
unsubscribe because they don't like the fightiness we've seen over the past
week here. And a number of people have commented off-list and on, about how
this list is normally more constructive than foundation-l. I have the
impression that people appreciate the constructive tone, and would like to
retain it.

So I wanted to say a couple of things about that.

One, this isn't my list, and I'm not going to moderate it. I did ask for
this list to be created, and I've been really happy to see good, useful
conversation here. But I created it for you, and it's up to you what kind of
standards you want to have here.

Second: typically, the Wikimedia community is pretty hands-off when it comes
to behavioural standards on its lists. Personally I think that's a mistake.
We've seen how it's played out on for example foundation-l: over time,
destructive behaviour, if unmoderated, tends to drive out constructive
discussion. Maintaining a productive, collegial environment takes time and
effort: people need to want it, and they need to be committed to achieving
it.

A couple of months ago, I asked Sarah Stierch to help me administer this
list. AFAIK, she's the only other list owner, at the moment. So I am going
to leave this question in her hands, and in the hands of subscribers here.
It's up to you, what kind of space you want this to be. I'd encourage you to
talk about it :-)

Thanks,
Sue