[Gendergap] Geek girl smash (and gaming!)

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 15:16:54 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Michael J. Lowrey <orangemike at gmail.com>wrote:

> Back in the day, I was the Wise Old Man (early 20s) who
> dungeonmastered for a bunch of high-school boys in the Nashville
> Science Fiction club. I was careful to put several traps into my
> dungeon which switched genders on their player characters, and used
> the results to do some consciousness-raising on issues ranging from
> menstruation to rape.
>
> I take no real credit for the fact that one of those kids is now a
> multiple Hugo-winner (8 nominations, 3 wins, I think) who handles
> women characters pretty well.

That's pretty awesome (especially the outcome - a Hugo winner, nice!). My
first paid job was at a gaming store called The Game Preserve, and yes, I
peddled dice, Magic cards, tarot decks, RPG books and board games to gamers
for two years. Then again, I also had a compute in my bedroom by the time I
was 10 and was raised by my father, so I suppose I have a little bit of a
different "growing up" than some.

I haven't played D&D and whatnot in 10+ years, but every now and again I
have a craving for pizza, geek parlaying, deciding who walks in what order
into a dungeon and celebrating the fact that now I can buy beer legally and
not have to beg the older kid in the group to go buy it for us. Sadly, out
of my youth I don't know any Hugo-winners personally.

Perhaps we need to add a AD&D game into the mix after the netball game
Kaldari, Pete and I were joking about putting together. Heh.

-Sarah

--
GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for Wikimedia <http://www.glamwiki.org>
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American