[Gendergap] vulgar jokes and sexualized environments on Wikipedia

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sat Oct 1 14:50:01 UTC 2011

> To beef up women's assertiveness so they protest, or to give more power
> to some authoritarian editors to delete and block reverters, that is the
> question.  Why not do both?? :-)  Or just get more assertive female
> admins.
>
> A job I myself shrink at the thought of. I already have enough problems
> just trying to edit the controversial articles I so often end up
> editing.  But then I am a glutton for punishment - or is it merely
> negative attention??

Personal questions you will have to answer for yourself. You don't seem a
likely administrator, but, with some discipline, could probably do it
well. Running the gauntlet at Wikipedia:Requests for adminship is
probably the main barrier to wielding a mop.

We don't need authoritarian editors or administrators, male or female,
but we do need people who will apply policy. Degrading material is not
acceptable and, in extreme cases, which this was, fall within deletion
policy. I have not deleted the object of the current controversy only
because it is a negative example which was extensively discussed.

Fred