[Gendergap] Hardcore images essay - HELP!

Herostratus Herostratus herostratusherostratus at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 17:11:05 UTC 2011

(Sorry, I did not mean to start a new thread. I was trying to respond to an existing thread,
 and don't know how to format the subject header to do this (wish there were instructions)).

This is my last post to this thread, and I'll talk more about that at the bottom of the
message.

We do expect our admins to be fair-minded, and on most subjects they
are. However, we
 also expect our admins to be 18-to-28 year old
childless single males with a particular
mindset. They are only human, and I am not decrying this this, simply noting it.

Obviously, most of the problem here with admins and most editors is of the "But what's
wrong with the
 pinup calender, I just can't understand your objection, please explain it again
 for the five hundredth time so I can decide if your being insulted is valid" variety.

But that's not true of every single editor.

Oliver, I am not insinuating anything. I am stating something clearly.

I work with these editors very regularly and have for a while. It is very difficult work. I loathe it
 and often dread sitting down at the keyboard. I very very much prefer doing translations and
 other work like that. However, if you volunteer to work in the soup kitchen you also have to
scrub the pots.

I know more about this particular narrow subject than probably anyone. It is hard gained
knowledge. I know what am talking about. So I don't appreciate the abuse, although I am
quite used to it and expect it.

These people - a few editors, but not that few - are very dedicated. Dedication is admirable,
 depending on what you are dedicated to. Motivations vary between and even within
individuals and are tricky to discern and characterize. I'll just say that these people are not
National Organization for Women members and leave it at that.

I don't offer a solution because I don't have one.

Oliver, I do not appreciate your going into combat stance and also putting me in this
position. I didn't start this thread, did not name it HELP, and make no claim for aid on my
own behalf. I was pointing out a a couple of people who might be in for a difficult experience
 and might appreciate a friendly face.

(Actually, the folks I am talking about may have gone to ground for awhile. But they'll be back when you all have moved on.)

Finally Oliver, Fred, and some others  - and I'll include myself - not as a matter of being
male, but as a matter of being clueless and insensitive - would it be asking
too much for you to back off and give the sisters some space? I have a talk page on the
English Wikipedia and am willing to engage there with other males in in combative tests of
verbal jousting skill. Not posting to this thread again, suggest some others might consider
that also.