[Gendergap] Hello and a (small!) manifesto

Daniel and Elizabeth Case dancase at frontiernet.net
Tue Feb 8 14:58:02 UTC 2011

Daniel,

Thanks. This was the most heartening post I've read in relation to
anything to do with Wikipedia in a good while. We chuckled, and it was balm
on my wife's bruised heart -- it made her say, "It makes you think there is
hope for this thing after all."

My reply:

You're welcome (and so is she).

At the same time I do owe myself an accounting of this mentality. Because it
was once, briefly, mine as well.

Back in the mid-2000s, when both he and I started editing, the public image
of Wikipedia was a little different than today. That was when a lot of
coverage focused on the vandalism as a general side effect of "anyone can
edit". And that was *before* the Seigenthaler incident.

Also at the time, notability hadn't established itself as thoroughly. The
boundaries of inclusion were not as clearly drawn (and that's saying
something, considering the criticisms of them that still exist today). There
was a time when someone tried to get an article about every blog, every
blogger, every podcast, every MMPORPG into Wikipedia. And that was on top of
the articles about garage bands and neologisms sourced to Urban Dictionary
that we still get. (Podcasts in particular were a pain. I only need say
three words for anyone who remembers: We Hate Tech). The guideline page
WP:NFT, originally titled "Wikipedia is not for things made up in school one
day" emerged from this era, although it has since been rewritten and toned
down from what Uncle G originally wrote
(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Wikipedia_is_not_for_things_made_up_one_day&oldid=32191186
is closer to the original tenor. This AfD
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/The_Walking_Game)
also is indicative of what we were dealing with at the time).

So many of us got militant and vigilantly policed the boundaries of the
encyclopedia. I was a little bit BITEy, too, at times
(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/The_Long_Island_Project_(2006)&oldid=36067423.
Note that the account trying to keep the article, despite its female
username, later turned out to be a sock of the film's male director).

But I moved on eventually, as by 2007 times had changed, I found a lot more
content areas to edit besides those I had originally worked on, we found
other ways to separate Wikipedia from the larger Internet culture, we became
stricter about sourcing articles, and so forth.

For some people, however, those times have never ended.

Daniel Case