[Gendergap] Hello and a (small!) manifesto

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 07:39:38 UTC 2011

Daniel,

Thanks. This was the most heartening post I've read in relation to
anything to do with Wikipedia in a good while. We chuckled, and it was balm
on my wife's bruised heart -- it made her say, "It makes you think there is
hope for this thing after all."

I am reminded of what Sydney said earlier, that behaviours that are normal
in real life -- e.g. that you talk to friends when a situation has upset
you -- are not normal in Wikipedia. The assumption in Wikipedia is that any
such conversation would serve a nefarious Machiavellian purpose, rather than
the simple human need for emotional support.

You can't let your hair down in Wikipedia, because anything you say on
a talk page can and will be taken down and used in evidence against you.

I agree with Sydney that new users find this hard to adjust to. Women in
particular are likely to miss this type of relating, and be upset when it
is used against them. Sometimes we are incivil in the name of civility.

Best,
Andreas