[Gendergap] Bothersome? (Re: Pimp)

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 26 06:52:22 UTC 2011

Actually, Sarah's post is quite useful to me. On en.wiki, people are
constantly asking why they should care about the gender gap, as they
don't see how it relates to improving the encyclopedia. Being able to
point out examples like...
* We have an article on barbers, but none for hairdressers
* We have an article on male pimps, but not for madams
...makes it concrete how our systemic bias hurts the quality of the
encyclopedia. Personally, I would love to hear about the systemic bias
issues on wikis besides en.wiki, and would encourage people to post
examples. These examples not only provide good opportunities for women
to contribute, but help to convince people that there is a problem worth
addressing. Of course, this should not be the sole purpose of the list,
but I think it is useful (and interesting) to discuss.

Ryan Kaldari