[Gendergap] Kelly Wearstler, again...

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 14:37:00 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

A few months ago Kelly Wearstler appeared - I think on this list. I had
never heard of her, but, a small stink was being made on her talk page
about whether to feature the Playboy model infobox for her page. So, I
took a look, and of course got sucked in. I rewrote the article and
blahblabhlah. One user was claiming that only claim to fame Kelly
Wearstler has is being a Playboy model.

Someone linked me to an interesting comment on some arbcom case. Now,
I'm not into getting involved in the drama llama known as Arbcom, but
I'm a bit irked by this guy's comments here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arbitration_Committee_Elections_December_2011/Candidates/Kww/Questions#Question_from_Newyorkbrad

And I'm not sure the protocol to going about handling this. It really
irritates me, and now he's making some assumption that Kelly " Wearstler
herself would rather that her Wikipedia page emphasize her interior
design business rather than her Playmate past."  Uhhh...I wrote the
page, to emphasize that she wasn't just a Playboy model (and consensus
agreed on the talk page that it wasn't her main claim to fame). I also
have NEVER MET KELLY WEARSTLER let alone do I own her books, nor did I
know who she was (I'm just that involved in the fashion industry
anymore.)...

So, I'm fairly aggravated that this person is claiming that it was
Wearstler doing the manipulating to the article and that by revamping
the page I'm saying (or someone is) that being a Playboy bunny is
inherently bad. It states it in the lead that she was Playboy of the
Month, and there is a section for it -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Wearstler

Her clothing and interior design items are sold at Bergdorf Goodman
(which is a VERY high end store - think 1% ;-) ) and she's published a
number of books including a LA Times best seller.

Obviously I'm pissed, so how does one go about saying "Listen dude, I
didn't write it FOR her, and if you don't think there's more to her, you
need to really look a little closer," without getting sucked into an
Arbcom drama?  I try to assume good faith, that perhaps he's just
misunderstanding something, or I don't know what...

It also doesn't help that I've had artist biographies I've written
lately speedy nominated because the speedy nominators 1) don't know
anything about art 2) don't do their research properly.

So yeah, I'm grumpy.

Sarah

--
Sarah Stierch Consulting