[Foundation-l] On curiosity, cats and scapegoats

Mikael mikael79 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 09:33:32 UTC 2011

Since I moved to an internet connection that doesn't cripple my
connection speed after 1 GB of traffic/month, I probably won't use this
feature either.

But, as I to and fro have tried to follow the debate over the last week,
I got curious about the feasibility of one possible solution that *I
think* would sidestep some of the issues which has been presented
concerning the categorization that has been deemed necessary:

What if the user has a default switch "show images?" [on/off] (as
someone else already suggested somewhere - sorry, I don't remember in
which post), and in every place where a picture is shown (or supposed to
be shown), the user would have the ability to toggle the visibility of
that particular image.

Kim Bruning: if these settings are stored server-wise, and given the
lack of indications on any page about any ban-worthiness, do you think
it still would be possible for a third party to create a list of "banned
images"/"banned pages" and impose it on anyone? I mean, besides what is
already possible by looking at category names such as "sex", "religion",
"people from country X" etc.

Obviously, this would emphatically not be a "think of the children" or
"if you are a good <insert-belief-here> you should use our special
filter" tool, and it would be a pain in the neck to maintain for the
user if he or she would like any kind of fine grained control - but
quite purposefully so. (An image wouldn't - couldn't - be blocked until
the user got to a page where the image is called for and actively
blocked it for him/herself, i.e. no manual editing of the raw blacklist
or whitelist.)

The reason I ask is that I'm no programmer, and have no clue about the
technical feasibility of such a solution, how tampering-resistant this
could be made (I *guess* the "red team" would have a harder time
destroying this than a system based on a publicly visible
categorization, but would it be in some sense "sufficiently" hard?) nor
whether this would require too much of the servers, keeping track of
settings of x million users times y million images.

I'd be happy to be educated in this.

\Mike