[Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 29 22:47:41 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 09:09:04AM +0100, M?ller, Carsten wrote:

> > ... but -if we want to reach consensus[1]- what we really need to be
> > discussing is: screwdrivers.
> >
> > sincerely,
> > 	Kim Bruning
> >

> No, we need to harden the wall agaist all attacks by hammers, screwdrivers and drills.
> We have consensus: Wikipedia should not be censored.

Right, hammering ourselves on the thumb is a bad idea :-P

However, there's nothing wrong with making sure that people
don't get odd images when they don't expect it (something
wikipedia is good at, but commons admittedly perhaps slightly
less so). This is the screw.

I don't think a filter (the hammer) will be very successful at
doing so, because filters have simply never been very good at
keeping away unexpected content, and can easily lead to
censorship and other unwanted side effects (hitting ourselves
on the thumb).  However, perhaps some other tool might be
useful for fixing the screw. Some people have come up with some
interesting proposals.

But shouting at each other about filters is probably
counter-productive at this point. ;-)

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning