[Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 29 14:13:52 UTC 2011

on 11/29/11 8:01 AM, David Gerard at dgerard at gmail.com wrote:

> On 29 November 2011 12:56, Tobias Oelgarte
> <tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> ... And I still want to see the "good reason for doing so". So far i
>> could not find one single reason that was worthy to implement such a
>> filter considering all the drawbacks it causes. That doesn't mean that
>

> Yes.
>
> The Board voted unanimously *twice* for the filter. They need to
> individually reveal their reasoning and what convinced them so
> strongly - the second time in the face of the threat of the
> second-largest project forking.
>
> Really. You just haven't told us what you each personally find so
> compelling about the idea, and we can't see it. So people presume
> there's financial influence or some other reason going on.
>
> Board, if you want this problem to go away, you need to explain
> yourselves, in a way that actually answers detractors. Your reasoning
> is really not obvious.
>

> - d.

I agree with you completely, David. Wikipedia is supposed to be a
collaborative effort. And the board should not be the law enforcement part
of that collaboration. This parental, "We know what's best for you, and
don't have to explain our decisions to you" makes a farce (or worse) of any
claim of such collaboration. And the more silent they remain about the
reasoning behind their decisions, the louder the suspicions become about
that silence - and the motives behind it.

Marc Riddell