[Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:58:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Alasdair <web at ajbpearce.co.uk> wrote:

> So a big objection is that any "sets" of filters is not so much to the "weak" filtering on wikipedia but that such "sets"  would enable other censors to more easily make a form of "strong" censorship of wikipedia where some images were not available (at all) to readers - regardless of whether or not they want to see them?
>
> I am not sure I agree with this concern as a practical matter but I can understand it as a theoretical concern. Has the board or WMF talked about / addressed this issue anywhere in regards to "set" based filter systems?

I don't know if they have, but it should be solvable in this system -
something with creating a hash of the image name, and using the
original name at some places and the hash at others. The list of
images in a filter will have one, the html created when a page is
looked at the other. I don't have the details all fleshed out, but it
doesn't look too hard to do once one has decided that it's necessary.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com