[Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:46:29 UTC 2011

Am 29.11.2011 14:28, schrieb Alasdair:
> On Tuesday, 29 November 2011 at 13:42, Tobias Oelgarte wrote:
>
>> With the tiny (actually big) problem that such lists are public and can
>> be directly feed into the filters of not so people loving or extremely
>> caring ISP's.
>>

>   I think this is a point that I was missing about the objections to the filter system.
>
> So a big objection is that any "sets" of filters is not so much to the "weak" filtering on wikipedia but that such "sets"  would enable other censors to more easily make a form of "strong" censorship of wikipedia where some images were not available (at all) to readers - regardless of whether or not they want to see them?
>
> I am not sure I agree with this concern as a practical matter but I can understand it as a theoretical concern. Has the board or WMF talked about / addressed this issue anywhere in regards to "set" based filter systems?
>
> --
> Alasdair (User:Ajbpearce)

So far this thought got widely ignored. I can't remember a board member,
aside from Arne Klempert talking about it. Instead i heard the
argumentation that some censors would unbanning Wikipedia if we
implemented such a feature as preemptive obedience. But who is really
such naive to believe it? Censors aren't happy with a opt-in solution.
They prefer the unable to opt-out solutions and are also interested in
textual content as well.

nya~