[Foundation-l] Show community consensus for Wikilove

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Nov 1 10:25:16 UTC 2011

On 10/30/11 5:57 PM, Mateus Nobre wrote:
> Do you really think a traditional (you know, traditional in Wikipedia equivalent to bureaucratic) communication and social system, friendship-free, at wikis reduces the efficiency? Why the friendship and camaraderie in editions and talk should reduce the efficiency of quality? Why working in a pleasant ambiete worse results. I think economists and business-men disagree with you.
>
> For your e-mail I found that you are probably Russian. You probably have read Tolstoi, Anna Karênina. Using a literary example, Lievin, the landowner, greatly increased his profit by changing the method of work of his moujiks. The moujiks used to work in bad taste and bad-tempered when just followind orders in a bad envronment. When Lievin adopted a collaborative approach, when the moujiks could work without the several rules at a amicable environment, profits rose.
> For Wikis is the same thing. Only the ideals are not enough. We have to have a friendly, a pleasant, a nice environment. We've to make the time of editions a good time to us. We've to smile editing Wikipedia. And know our work is important to the community, moral support. Wikilove make Wikipedia less a obligation and more a thing which we need every single day. This is the point.

> MateusNobre

Efficiency has never been a part of Wikipedia's mission, but then,
neither has community-building.  Collaborative communities build around
an objective, in our case to assemble an encyclopedia. The efficient
person, like Gogol's Chichikov, too easily roams the countryside
collecting dead souls. a good product constantly renews itself in a
cycle of thesis, antithesis and synthesis, and that's not efficient. Nor
can it be accomplished in a divided community..

Ray