[Foundation-l] Show community consensus for Wikilove

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Nov 1 09:41:59 UTC 2011

On 10/30/11 9:52 AM, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> On 30 October 2011 17:44, Brandon Harris<bharris at wikimedia.org>  wrote:
>>         (One of my favorite things about talk pages is that, for most people,
>> *there is no talk page button*.  There's a "Discussion" tab.  So when
>> someone says "Hey, just leave me a message on my talk page and I'll help
>> you out!" that means. . . nothing.)
> Perhaps we should apply the Common Name policy to the interface as
> well as article titles.

I noticed that.  We constantly refer to talk pages as "talk pages", and
yet somebody in his wisdom chose to use "Discussion" in the link.  There
is a certain level of synonymy between "talk" and "discuss", but someone
who has been told to go to the "talk page" will respond to that
instruction very literally, and look for a very specific link. Even more
so if he is a newby or not a native English speaker.

Ray