[Foundation-l] Chapters

Arne Klempert klempert.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 22:32:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org> wrote:
> Because although it is claimed differently (and although Thomas seems to
> hope differently) the interpretation by the staff is clearly that no chapter
> except WMDE should fundraise - no matter how hard they work to improve.

The board decided on some criteria and asked that the concerns "need
to be substantially addressed prior to the start of the 2011
fundraiser". To be very clear here, since there has been some
confusion on that front: The board did decide on the letter and not on
any interpretation of it  - it was hard enough to come to a version of
this letter to which every board member could agree. The
implementation is up to the staff. It's their call.

We did raise the bar for chapters to participate in the fundraiser as
payment processors. However, IMO the board's guidance provides enough
flexibility to let more chapters than just WMDE participate in 2011.
But again, the board didn't make any decision about individual
chapters, neither in favor of any chapter nor against. Of course we
had some conversations about the possible impact of our decision, but
too many things were unclear at the time to tell for sure which
chapters could participate in 2011. And even today I can't tell, since
there are ongoing conversations between some chapters and WMF.

> The exact reason for this seems to be vague to me. I really do hope the
> board will step forth and makes clear what their reasoning was and is - and
> doesn't hide behind staff (board members who already did so are being
> appreciated, but I'm still missing important voices). Is the reason really
> transparency? Is it about transferring money? Because that is important, but
> (sometimes easily) fixable.

There are many reasons why the old model was not good - and I think
all of them are layed out in the letter. I will not try to
re-formulate them - because I will certainly fail to come up with a
version that is less vague while still representing the board's
consensus. I myself would have dificulties to single out one exact
reason. Transparency is certainly part of it, as are money transfer
issues, or the legal framework we're operating in. I really don't want
to blame this on the chapters alone. We all failed to implement a
solid fundraising model that provides a "level of financial controls
over donor funds" that is appropriate for a movement of our size and
complexity.

> Or is the reasoning you don't like the projects
> the chapters work on? Because *then* we should have a discussion about that,
> and not hide behind non-reasons.

I really do hope and I will do everything I can, that the current
trouble will not lead to a situation where chapters stop doing any of
the great projects they're doing. For me, this diverse and innovative
culture is what makes Wikimedia so awesome.

Arne
--
Member of the Board of Trustees
Wikimedia Foundation