[Foundation-l] should not web server logs (of requests) be published?

aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 00:24:01 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 6:51 PM, <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 11/28/2010 3:36:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> russnelson at gmail.com writes:
>

> > You misbelieve. Listen to Aude. She knows what she's talking about.
> >

> I'd rather have Aude cite a reliable source.

"The Wikimedia Foundation **MAY** keep raw logs of such transactions"
(emphasis added)

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Privacy_policy

Under the policy, WMF is permitted to collect and keep apache and squid logs
but the policy gives more leeway than what is done in practice.  WMF does
collect squid logs but quite sure it's only 1/1000 sample.  They don't keep
apache access logs.

The WMF server config files are there for everyone to see.

There are apache error logs (notice LogLevel) that are collected. Those are
manually purged, as of 2008. (source: Tim Starling
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2008-September/045811.html
)

In that thread, you can read more of what Tim and others had to say on to,
including Sue.

-Katie (@aude)

> People are not reliable sources.  No living person is such an authority
> that we should listen to that person.  Not even on their own biography,
> much
> less anything else.
>
> The role of the expert is not to spout dogma, but rather to build a case
> using citable sources.  No one is immune from this diction.  The Archangel
> Gabriel told me so.

> On a side-note you completely ignored what I actually stated.
> Aude mentioned the checkuser logs.  I pointed out that IP server logs are
> *not* the same thing as checkuser logs.  The privacy policy states that
> these
> exist, that they are kept.  It states or at least implies that as I said,
> they are not the same thing as the checkuser logs.

It does not state for how long, either is kept.