[Foundation-l] should not web server logs (of requests) be published?

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 17:38:50 UTC 2010

Hi!

> you have mentioned that provider can give logs to government, probably
> also wikipedia must give its logs to government, if requested, is not
> it?

Wikipedia cannot give logs to government, as it has none.

> users cannot request in provider's official web forum to make dynamic
> ip or nat? probably you mean that they cannot require/demand/claim/request(?) that as their right that is written in
> law.

No IP is anonymous - based on various usage patterns one can determine who is behind it :)

> i am not from "intelligence service" :) . you mean something like spy?

I meant someone who has some sarcasm detection skills.

> not, i am not. as i said, i ask this because i think that tatar people
> should be managers/adminstrators/controllers of texts they wrote, and
> that texts are read mostly by tatar people. if logs are not published,
> that mean that they can be read by wikipedia owners, by us government,
> but not by tatar people.

Logs cannot be read by wikipedia owners or us government because they don't exist.
You're free to suggest aggregations of interest to you - now we provide hourly pageview counters for each article.

Wikipedia does not track its readers, last time I checked.

> i have not seen that of
> wikipedia. publishing full/raw logs also is not much violence of
> privacy, i think.

I really really would like to avoid going into any ad hominem attacks, but you're not capable to see much, then.

> and wikipedia could say "if you do not want to
> publish your ip, then do not use this" but take in account that there
> is no problem with hiding ip and referer. and so there is no problem
> with anonymous reading.

Wikipedia will not say "do not use this", because its primary goal is to spread knowledge, and that includes spreading knowledge to people who value their privacy.

> anonymous writing is already generally blocked by wikipedia itself.

You can edit under a pseudonym. That is already good enough. IPs identify real people way more than pseudonyms may do.

> and users who are "tracked" also will know that their browsing is published.

Sorry, disregard word 'intelligence' used before in any forms.

Domas