[Foundation-l] should not web server logs (of requests) be published?

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sun Nov 28 19:30:12 UTC 2010

I'm afraid our Tatar is correct in some senses and others in this thread
are in a failing  or failed mode.

Each web server, of which the WMF has a few, collects details on the
behaviour of IPs, in logs.  Those logs can be and probably have been requested by
certain government officials, most likely for the purpose of tracking down
who is behind a certain "Bad" posting to a BLP.

In addition, courts can make such orders in order to determine an otherwise
"John Doe" named in a suit, such as for libel, etc.  It's happened it will
continue to happen, the WMF does keep such logs.

Knowing the IP, it can then be tracked back to that user's ISP and a log
again requested to determine the exact person, or at least business or
household, who used the IP at that exact time.  So playing with words, doesn't let
us get around that point.

I'm still not clear why we would want to know the IP exactly for analytical
purposes.  Some intrepid programmer could write a program which would
simply collect detailed analysis of a person's in-world behaviour and call them
"Bob992" instead of 13.42.204.192 or whatever.  Making the information
packets anonymous.  That would still allow any sort of analysis the Tatars want to
make, and not reveal any private information.