[Foundation-l] Corporate Social Responsibility

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 12:18:58 UTC 2010

On 21 November 2010 04:21, Noein <pronoein at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was used to more respectful manners from you, David.

I'm afraid I have little respect for the ideas you're expressing here
because they seem silly, and more silly the more you explain of them.

I could of course be wrong, but you're not helping your ideas any yourself.

> The changes are possible. I'm humbly checking why they're not already
> happening in Wikipedia.

Because your ideas don't match how accepted practice of running a
viable charity works.

You may consider the accepted practice appalling, but doing things in
an accepted manner is necessary for a charity to be allowed to exist
and operate in the real world.

Wikimedia is already weird compared to other charities - we've had an
absolute arse of a time with things like our Guidestar rating, because
they don't work so well for charities with a volunteer:staff ratio on
the order of 10,000:1.

What you're advocating is a whole new system of running a charity.
This is an excellent idea. But you haven't made any convincing case
why Wikimedia should be the test case.

What is your familiarity with the operation of charities in general?

> The capitalist and corporatist mentalities I'm discovering in the
> oligarchy of the Foundation (without any pejorative meaning in it) are
> not representative, in my opinion, of a general consensus from the
> community.

This is a statement that requires a citation. I believe it is flatly
incorrect and your perceptions are well out of sync with the various
communities. So please detail the evidence you have otherwise for us.
(I see one other person has already asked for your sources for this
assertion.)

- d.