[Foundation-l] Donor comments?

Sara Crouse scrouse at wikimedia.org
Fri Nov 19 19:05:43 UTC 2010

On 11/19/2010 10:33 AM, Renata St wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Sara Crouse<scrouse at wikimedia.org>  wrote:
>

>> On 11/19/2010 08:43 AM, Renata St wrote:
>>
>>> Hey, what happened to the donor comment box and the log of all donations?
>>> The links from prior year redirect to :
>>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:FundraiserStatistics
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Renata
>>>
>> On this list earlier this week, the same question was asked. Philippe
>> Beaudette explained that the statistics from tests that were run prior
>> to the fundraiser show that the donor comments actually suppressed the
>> amount of donations we received.  However, it is on our to-do list to
>> find a way to make the comments work (perhaps from the "thank you" page
>> which follows the donation process).
>>

> Thanks Sara. I was looking for that thinking that somebody already asked the
> q.
> That is so weird.... I would have never thought it would reduce
> donations....
>
> Another q: are you going to have matching donations? If yes, I will wait to
> make mine. If not, I'll contribute now.
>
> Renata

It is strange indeed. The tests might infer that some donors want to go
through as few steps as possible in order to donate (click donate -->
done); or maybe some are not comfortable with a public comment. Btw,
these are solely my personal guesses and not based on fact!

It should be noted that, on the "Thank You" page, after one makes a
donation, they are given the option to share their story about what
Wikipedia means to them. This has resulted in some amazing feedback
about the real impact of the Wikimedia projects. We'll share some of the
great stories in different forums.

This year we will likely not have a big online matching campaign as an
additional strategy for fundraising.

Thanks in advance for your support, Renata.

Best,

Sara