[Foundation-l] PediaPress

Robert S. Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sat Nov 13 08:56:58 UTC 2010

On 11/12/2010 10:05 AM, Magnus Manske wrote:
> Wikimedia policy is to use only free software, at least on the
> "customer-facing" side. That includes the PDF-generation process,
> which runs on our servers AFAIK.
>
> Requiring this from sites we (in essence) link to seems excessive. We
> link to Google Maps via an intermediate page, similar to PediaPress,
> and their code is not 100% open source either, last time I looked.
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus

The link to Google Maps is certainly not exclusive and includes links to
other mapping services including government mapping agencies and the
Open Street Map Project, whose database and toolchain is 100% open
source.  As a mater of fact, I was introduced to Open Street Map through
Wikipedia and its link when I was trying to look up the geo coordinates
on a couple of articles done with the Geotagging Wikiproject.
Explicitly, I was looking for a mapping tool that I didn't have the
copyright problems that Google Maps have and I wasn't interested in
pushing fair-use for the side project I was working on.

-- Robert Horning