[Foundation-l] PediaPress

Joe Corneli holtzermann17 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 18:48:07 UTC 2010

> I'd love for the LaTeX export to be made available as open source as
> well. Heiko and I have talked a few times about this -- obviously it's
> understandable why they prefer to at least keep some "secret sauce".
> Policy-wise, what's key to us is that everything running on the WMF
> side is open, but it'd be in the spirit of the partnership to make the
> full toolchain open source (ideally without killing a tiny company
> that's done all the work in favor of a bigger one benefiting from it).

But the thing is, it's not really so much of a secret, i.e., one of
these days someone will write a free/open LaTeX export and that will
be that.  Pediapress will then have to rethink their business model.
Or they could get started rethinking it now, and once they've gotten
it sorted out, they could just release their LaTeX export and be done
with it.  So, in order to help them out, we should ask, what IS the
business model in the "endgame" where proprietary code isn't part of
the picture?