[Foundation-l] PediaPress

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Nov 12 02:51:45 UTC 2010

In a message dated 11/11/2010 6:23:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
z at mzmcbride.com writes:

> I think focusing energy and efforts on creating print versions of
> Wikipedia
> articles is antithetical to the idea of creating an online encyclopedia.
> The
> benefits of the Internet (and more specifically Wikipedia) include the
> ability to centralize information in one place and the ability to update
> information in a quicker manner. The idea that it's a good idea to
> distribute hard copies of these articles, negating two huge benefits of
> the
> Internet and of Wikipedia, is baffling to me. The business model seems to
> mostly consist of "hey, look, we've reverted to the printing press!"
>
> The people living in places without readily available Internet access
> don't
> seem like the same people who would want to order a printed copy of "List
> of
> The Simpsons episodes". >>

While I agree with part of your aim, that PediaPress's prominent placement
(alliterative aren't I?) is an issue going forward, I think this part of
your argument is a no-starter.

Why should any of us care, if someone else has an extra ability to print a
copy?  Why they want to, is really secondary.  *That* they want to, or
alternatively that it doesn't harm us at all to *let* them, is the issue from
where I sit.

What if I really really want to read that enormous list of who might ascend
to the British throne and the next 500 claimaints... in order... which we
have.  What if I really want to study that list, but I have to go catch a
train and I don't have a wireless laptop or the train doesn't?  I could print
it out and read it in the john if I want.

I don't think we should waste effort on *why* someone wants to print it
out.  The main issue is whether or not we are profiting a company.