[Foundation-l] Wikiversity

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 17:16:27 UTC 2010

On 18 March 2010 16:33, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> 2010/3/18 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> > For what it's worth, I think it's probably a good idea to shut down
> > Wikiversity.  Wikiversity hasn't to my knowledge achieved anything of
> note.
>
> To be fair, I don't think that's equally true for all language
> editions. The German Wikiversity, from what I can see, seems to be
> slowly but productively doing what the project was designed to do:
> producing learning materials.

Wikiversity was set up to do *two* things: produce learning materials, and
support learning/research activities and communities. The second question
was always more vaguely defined, but was always the more interesting
question for me. English Wikiversity's problems stem from an uncertainty
about what a legitimate learning/research activity would be, and a
consequent uncertainty in Wikiversity's scope as a project. Dealing with the
question of what someone is free to learn in Wikiversity is the useful
course of action to take here; rather than talk of closing the project.
Unfortunately, due to imminent submission of my thesis, I have no time to
give this for the next two weeks, but will get back to the discussion
thereafter.

Cormac