[Foundation-l] Wikiversity

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 18 16:33:17 UTC 2010

2010/3/18 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> For what it's worth, I think it's probably a good idea to shut down
> Wikiversity.  Wikiversity hasn't to my knowledge achieved anything of note.

To be fair, I don't think that's equally true for all language
editions. The German Wikiversity, from what I can see, seems to be
slowly but productively doing what the project was designed to do:
producing learning materials. Even the English Wikiversity has a set
of well-developed, rich pages, e.g. Robert Elliott's filmmaking
lessons:

http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Course:WikiU_Film_School_Course_01_-_Learning_the_Basics_of_Filmmaking

It's heartbreaking to see how a small project can be disrupted by a
tiny number of well-known problem users, and IMO a strong argument for
using more global blocking processes. Small projects often think they
need to give people "fresh start" opportunities because they're
otherwise not going to grow, but that's a bad bargain - introducing
toxic personalities into a fledgling community is a certain way to
bring about its decline.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation