[Foundation-l] Push translation

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jul 27 07:47:09 UTC 2010

Mark Williamson wrote:
> Google Translator Toolkit is particularly problematic because it
> messes up the existing article formatting (one example, it messes up
> internal links by putting punctuation marks before double brackets
> when they should be after) and it includes incompatible formatting
> such as redlinked templates. It also doesn't help that many editors
> don't stick around to fix their articles afterwards.

The key word is "Toolkit". The formatting anomalies, like the strange
errors in OCR, should be expected by those using machine translations.
I have no objection to "pull" translations; these suggest that someone
*in the target project* considered the topic worth including at the
current stage of the project. Speedy deleting these articles when they
first appear would be too hasty.  The fixup within a reasonable time
after the machine translation is added is an important part of the
contribution.

Ray