[Foundation-l] Push translation

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 06:39:18 UTC 2010

Shiju Alex,

Stevertigo is just one en.wikipedian.

As far as using exact copies goes, I don't know about the policy at
your home wiki, but in many Wikipedias this sort of back-and-forth
translation and trading and sharing of articles has been going on
since day one, not just with English but with other languages as well.
If I see a good article on any Wikipedia in a language I understand
that is lacking in another, I'll happily translate it. I have never
seen this cause problems provided I use proper spelling and grammar
and do not use templates or images that leave red links.

I started out at en.wp in 2001, so I don't think it's unreasonable to
call myself an English Wikipedian (although I'd prefer to think of
myself as an international Wikipedian, with lots of edits at wikis
such as Serbo-Croatian, Spanish, Navajo, Haitian and Moldovan). I am
not at all in favor of pushing any sort of articles on anybody, if a
community discusses and reaches consensus to disallow translations
(even ones made by humans, including professionals), that is
absolutely their right, although I don't think it's wise to disallow
people from using material from other Wikipedias.

Google Translator Toolkit is particularly problematic because it
messes up the existing article formatting (one example, it messes up
internal links by putting punctuation marks before double brackets
when they should be after) and it includes incompatible formatting
such as redlinked templates. It also doesn't help that many editors
don't stick around to fix their articles afterwards.

-m.