[Foundation-l] Discussion Questions for Potentially-Objectionable Content

wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 18:38:48 UTC 2010

David Goodman wrote:
> A child seeing such a page will ordinarily go instead to something
> they understand.  Unless we're talking about teen-agers.
> I see this as an excellent example of the slippery slope

Would that be the slippery slope to the thin end of the wedge perchance?

> we would be
> in if we did anything targeted at facilitating censorship, especially
> considering the author of the book is a major writer. There are some
> elements of these themes in some of his other work also. Do we label
> them as well?

It is not censorship to allow people the choice of what they read or
see. Are you totally incapable of understanding that someone might well
be flipping through works of Delany:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_R._Delany#Novels

and not want to suddenly, without warning, to have descriptions of kids
cocksucking on their work or school computer?

Take flickr which will delete the accounts of people that insist on
linking to Adult material, and their reasoning for doing so here:

http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/115953/#reply737787