[Foundation-l] Push translation

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 05:39:16 UTC 2010

Wikipedias are not for _cultures_, they are for languages. If I and
1,000 other Americans suddenly learnt French (to the point of
native-level fluency) and decided to read and edit the French
Wikipedia, it would "belong" to us just as much as to anybody else.
This came up recently in the debate about the Acehnese Wikipedia. Some
people said that all Acehnese were Muslim (not true - there is a small
community of Acehnese Christians). They said that if anyone is
Christian, they'd be ejected from Acehnese society and therefore no
longer Acehnese. However, they'd not stop speaking the Acehnese
language.

Nobody claims the English WP is for US/Commonwealth cultures only...
this is reasonable when a Wiki is tiny, but as it grows large it's
important that NPOV mean "neutral point of view for EVERYBODY", not
just "a point of view that everybody in OUR country can agree upon",
etc.

-m.