[Foundation-l] Push translation

Cristian Consonni kikkocristian at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 23:06:29 UTC 2010

2010/7/24 Casey Brown <lists at caseybrown.org>:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Pavlo Shevelo <pavlo.shevelo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> These days Google and other translate tools are good enough to use as
>>> the starting basis for an translated article
>>
>> No, it's far not true - at least for such target language as Ukrainian etc.
>>
>> So any attempt of "push" translation will be almost the disaster...
>>

> ...and we need to remember that most articles are *not* translations
> of the English article, but are home-grown on the wiki and use their
> own sources in their own language.

Also don't forget that the same subject can be treated very
differently among different cultures (even if they are not distant,
think to French and English).

An article in the English Wikipedia can be a very good basis to start
a new article, but I don't think that an automated "flooding" of the
other Wikipedias is a good thing in *any* way.

Cristian