[Foundation-l] [Wiki-research-l] WikiCite - new WMF project? Was: UPEI's proposal for a "universal citation index"

Brian J Mingus Brian.Mingus at Colorado.EDU
Tue Jul 20 17:24:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Brian,
>
> The meta process for new project proposals is still the cleanest one
> for suggesting a specific Project and presenting it alongside similar
> projects.
>
> It would be helpful if you could update a related project proposal on
> meta -- say, [[m:WikiBibliography]], if that seems relevant.  (I just
> cleaned that page up and merged in an older proposal that had been
> obfuscated.)

Thanks for your work on this - definitely in the right direction! I will
consider whether I feel it's the right way for me to get started. One point
is that I am pointing more in the direction of a long-form proposal, and I
have more experience writing white-paper proposals for academia. I certainly
want it to end up on wiki, but when TPTB finally read the proposal perhaps
they will find it more persuasive if it is a professional looking document
that lands in their inbox.

> Or you can create a new project proposal...  WikiCite as a name can be
> confusing, since it has been used to refer to this bibliographic idea,
> but also to refer to the idea of citations for every statement or fact
> - something closer to a blame or trust solution that includes
> citations in its transactions.

Another name that I have come up with is OpenScholar. I still rather like
it, but suspect it has too much of a scientific ring to it? Names are
certainly very important so we should do more work on this avenue. Including
a list of names in the proposal would be a good idea, and perhaps the final
name will be a combination of existing name proposals.

> We should figure out how this project would work with acawiki, and
> possibly bibdex.  Bibdex doesn't aim to   And it would be helpful to
> have a publicly-viewable demo to play with -- could you clone your
> current wiki and populate the result with dummy data?

The problem with WikiPapers is that it has too many features! A feature-thin
version would be ideal for the proposal though, so I will plan to have some
kind of a demo site available.

> I love the idea of having a global place to discuss citations -- ALL
> citations -- something that OpenLibrary, the arXiv, and anyone else
> hosting cited documents could point to for every one of its works.

Exactly :)

Brian