[Foundation-l] [Wiki-research-l] WikiCite - new WMF project? Was: UPEI's proposal for a "universal citation index"

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 03:37:23 UTC 2010

Brian,

The meta process for new project proposals is still the cleanest one
for suggesting a specific Project and presenting it alongside similar
projects.

It would be helpful if you could update a related project proposal on
meta -- say, [[m:WikiBibliography]], if that seems relevant.  (I just
cleaned that page up and merged in an older proposal that had been
obfuscated.)

Or you can create a new project proposal...  WikiCite as a name can be
confusing, since it has been used to refer to this bibliographic idea,
but also to refer to the idea of citations for every statement or fact
- something closer to a blame or trust solution that includes
citations in its transactions.

We should figure out how this project would work with acawiki, and
possibly bibdex.  Bibdex doesn't aim to   And it would be helpful to
have a publicly-viewable demo to play with -- could you clone your
current wiki and populate the result with dummy data?

I love the idea of having a global place to discuss citations -- ALL
citations -- something that OpenLibrary, the arXiv, and anyone else
hosting cited documents could point to for every one of its works.

Sam.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brian J Mingus, 19/07/2010 22:20:
>> The basic idea is a centralized wiki that contains citation information that
>> other MediaWikis and WMF projects can then reference using something like a
>> {{cite}} template or a simple link. The community can document the citation,
>> the author, the book etc.. and, in one idealization, all citations across
>> all wikis would point to the same article on WikiCite. Users can use this
>> wiki as their personal bibliography as well, as collections of citations can
>> be exported in arbitrary citation formats.
>
> I have already mentioned it before, but this description looks quite
> similar to http://bibdex.org/ . Maybe we should join forces (i.e., send
> your proposal also to Sunir Shah).
>
> Nemo

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj