[Foundation-l] Boycott in ace at wiki

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sat Jul 17 00:49:03 UTC 2010

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> So, to get back to the original question: Is it or is it not
>> acceptable to you that the community of one Wikipedia decides that
>> certain pictures will not be shown on their wiki? And is it or is it
>> not acceptable that they use the morality of the nationality or other
>> group that most of them belong to in doing so?
>
> I think I would accept that some language wikis decide, by consensus,
> that they will not show illustrations of Mohammed under any
> circumstances.
>
> They should not ask for a boycott of another language, though. They
> could have a protest page with a list of users who want to sign up to
> it. Sticking a banner on the main page - and worse; as the only
> content - I disagree with.
>
> Paedophilia is unlawful all around the world; but let's say it were
> legal in one culture and an associated language wiki hosted pictures
> of sex acts with minors; I think en:wp would correctly be in uproar. I
> don't think we would respond by having the issue on our front page in
> any form and especially not as the single item of content.
>
> en.User:Bodnotbod

That's the issue. Displaying offensive religious images is a big problem,
not a tiny little problem that can be brushed under the rug. You're doing
something that outrages millions of people and saying, "Hey, tough". And
you don't possess, and will never possess, an authentic image of
Muhammad.

You don't listen.

Fred Bauder