[Foundation-l] Boycott in ace at wiki

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 21:50:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, to get back to the original question: Is it or is it not
> acceptable to you that the community of one Wikipedia decides that
> certain pictures will not be shown on their wiki? And is it or is it
> not acceptable that they use the morality of the nationality or other
> group that most of them belong to in doing so?

I think I would accept that some language wikis decide, by consensus,
that they will not show illustrations of Mohammed under any
circumstances.

They should not ask for a boycott of another language, though. They
could have a protest page with a list of users who want to sign up to
it. Sticking a banner on the main page - and worse; as the only
content - I disagree with.

Paedophilia is unlawful all around the world; but let's say it were
legal in one culture and an associated language wiki hosted pictures
of sex acts with minors; I think en:wp would correctly be in uproar. I
don't think we would respond by having the issue on our front page in
any form and especially not as the single item of content.

en.User:Bodnotbod