[Foundation-l] Money, politics and corruption

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 07:28:33 UTC 2010

Hoi,
Our community is not perfect. That is good. There are people who spend an
inordinate amount of time on Wiki related subjects; I am one of them. There
are people who go to Wikimania, I have been to all of them. There are people
with a large amount of influence; when you heared Jimmy speak I am one of
them. I am not perfect.

There are many people with loads of influence and as I have been there from
quite early it was relatively easy for me to cut out a niche. I am not on
influential-l or secret-l or cabal-l.

Like yourself I have heard of incompetence, money grabbing, power plays. I
have seen some. However for me it does not matter.  Many of these people
have their own agenda and if it the time of the items of such an agenda are
in the here and now, they shape our world. Many of the items of my agenda
are in the agenda and I could not be more happy about that. I also know that
it upsets others.

The problem with behaviour that is not good / acceptable is that at some
stage it will be recognised and it will kill off the people in a similar way
as to Essjay. The best indication that such things can happen is the upset
of our capable, competent and upright former chair. I was convinced that he
would be re-elected and I would have welcomed his re-election.

When there is substance to "officials" with problematic credentials, it is
certain that this will be noticed. When the system gets manipulated to keep
them where they are, it will get noticed. When they are chapter officials
and they damage the chapter it will be the members of the Foundation that
have the possibility to force the issue.