[Foundation-l] excluding Wikipedia clones from searching

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 10 19:54:32 UTC 2010

i mean google has copies, caches of items for searching.
How can google cache this?
Archive.org has copyrighted materials as well.
We should be able to save backups of this material as well.
mike

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 5:16 PM,  <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:
> In a message dated 12/9/2010 11:06:30 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com writes:
>

>> Google does it, archive.org (wayback machine) does it, we can copy
>> them for caching and searching i assume. we are not changing the
>> license, but just preventing the information from disappearing on us. >>
>>

> You are thinking of refs which are out-of-copyright.
> Google books only gives snippet views of some books still under copyright
> for which they've not gotten permission to show an entire page at a time
> (which is preview mode).
>
> archive.org as well has copies of works out-of-copyright (or otherwise in
> the public domain)
>
> Your original statement was that we should copy refs.  Many or most of our
> refs are under copyright still.
> We would not be able to do what you suggest imho.

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova and Albania
flossk.org flossal.org